Intake Port Marking on the Engine
- Stuff wadded up damp newspaper into each of the intake ports until the port is about ½” short of being completely filled.
- Install the heads on the block with a used head gasket the same thickness as the ones to be used for final assembly. Snug down the heads with 2 or 3 bolts.
- Glue the intake gaskets (used ones are ok) to the cylinder heads taking care to square the gasket ports to the head ports.
- Install the intake manifold. Make sure the bolt holes in the manifold are large enough to allow the bolts to start with your fingers. If not, cut them out.
- Spray machinist dye, with a straw, deep into each port and quickly follow up with a blast of air from your air compressor.
- The machinist dye will blow back against the manifold face leaving a true pattern of the cylinder head port on the manifold for perfect alignment.
- Send the manifold to us with the dye marks intact.
Hughes Engines, inc
23334 Wiegand Lane
Washington, IL 61571